Urban Climate Leadership
Cities are responsible for roughly 70% of global greenhouse gas emissions and thus play a vital role in addressing climate change. The impacts of climate change have forced cities and towns to address a myriad of complex social, economic, and environmental challenges while relying on increasingly strained infrastructure and energy systems. This program is committed to the growth of its participants and the acceleration of solutions that will create and transform cities we need for an equitable and regenerative future. By mid-century, there will be nearly 7 billion people living in cities - as many people as those who occupy the entire planet today, thus, the speed and scale of both urbanization and the deterioration of our planetary system demands swift and scalable solutions.
Developed by the Yale School of the Environment, the Urban Climate Leadership certificate educates and empowers leaders to accelerate urban solutions for a climate-ready future through an accessible and rigorous online education. Covering topics ranging from urban form and land use planning to transportation, energy systems, forests, and greenspaces, this certificate is geared towards working professionals eager to obtain knowledge, strategies, and a robust skillset to address the most pressing, cross-disciplinary challenges facing cities around the world. Through lectures by world-renowned professors and practitioners, as well as weekly readings, assignments, and online convenings, online learners will have abundant opportunities to deepen their knowledge base and gain the skills and versatility required to accelerate climate solutions.
To apply for this program, you must meet the following prerequisites:
- Hold a four-year bachelor's degree in any subject from either an accredited U.S. college or university or an international equivalent.
- Be a working professional in a related field.
- Be enthusiastic about joining a community of learners who are committed to tackling climate change with a sense of urgency.
- Explain how cities are impacted by climate change and contribute to it through human activities and infrastructure.
- Express the multitude of scalable, impactful mitigation and adaptation solutions that can be deployed in cities and towns across the world to ensure a climate-ready future.
- Deepen one’s understanding of the people and institutions instrumental to the development of urban climate strategies, policies, and financing.
- Expand one’s professional network and skills to apply urban climate mitigation and adaptation solutions.