Designed for aspiring nurse practitioners who want to make a difference, the online Master of Science in Nursing Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) program offers accessible training for an expanded scope of care.
150 million people in the United States live in communities facing mental health professional shortages. Rural and urban communities alike feel the acute need for mental health care. Psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners can meet that need.
Yale School of Nursing empowers registered nurses with advanced practice nursing experience and training to best serve their communities. Through the online PMHNP, students graduate ready to provide care for individuals with complex psychiatric needs.
This 52.5-credit-hour online Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) PMHNP program offers the excellence in nursing education students expect from Yale School of Nursing, and the flexibility to earn a master’s degree online, at a part-time pace.
Designed to be completed over three years, the PMHNP program combines live online classes, asynchronous assignments, in-person clinical training at an accessible health care setting, and short-term, intensive on-campus immersions in the New Haven, Connecticut area.
Online PMHNP program students develop advanced knowledge of mental health care from Yale faculty who work as active practitioners. Under their guidance, program graduates are prepared to serve their communities as human-forward mental health nurse practitioners.
Find out more about the program here!
- Screen for and diagnose mental health and substance use disorders in patients of all ages.
- Conduct mental health assessments to establish a patient’s individual needs.
- Coordinate and execute therapy interventions for patients in crisis.
- Educate patients, families, and communities on the importance of mental health.
- Create collaborative care plans between practitioners, social workers, psychologists, and other health care professionals.
- Prescribe medication for acute and chronic illnesses.
- Deliver psychotherapy.